Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dust and Architecture


Last week, I put 200 small mirrors in the different places of our sites to collect information about the dust, indeed, they have revealed some interesting results. For instance, on the surface of one, I found some dust like wool or silk. on another's surface, there were some orange and transparent dust. One was very symmetrical distributing on the surface, one has collected some leaves or part of plants, and one has some wirelike dust.
Then the work I did this week was to find out how does the dust act on the surface or material of buildings. So, according to the results of those mirrors, I chose three typical routes from site 1 to site 2. And I found the third one was more interesting than other two, therefore, I chose several typical points from this route and put some small pieces of paper to test. the results were also representative. One had been split by the wind or the force of dust, the edge of another one had been crumpled, one has been stuck by some glutinous powder, as a result, the surface became uneven. After that, some dust in different colour landed on the paper, and the green ones may be the part of plants. Lastly, one was a little damp when I collected it, which obtained the possibility of touching some liquid or the vapor brought by dust.
After the experience, I was wondering how did dust change the architecture in a long period. With some illusion and appropriate exaggeration, I drew this picture, which was about the effect that dust could exert on architecture. More specifically, the spiting and cracks, decaying and melt, coloring, damping, plants growing and light and shadow. Then I thought if all of the possibility was combined together, what would happen? Maybe different elements could make the mutual or contradictive function on architecture. I will work on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment