Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I plan to do for the crit

There is only less than 3 weeks left, it is time to straighten out the sparks in my mnid, clarify the theme I am  interested in and outline a formative developmental project model.
The past several weeks, I made several pieces of hand drawings about the Chinese imperial palace, the Forbidden City. Through this process, its unique structure,  decoration,  design principle and cultural atomsphere inspired me a lot. Also it possesses the feature of self-similarity, which is the initial reason I started to observation. 
Then I made a city map of Beijing, and planned to put my drawings into this map to creat a city in a city. Beijing and Forbidden City were the real background of my project, I chose one piece of furniture, a chair in the main palace of Forbidden City as my site. It seemed I can creat endless circular cities. But after the Nic's seminar, his comments gave me a new sight about my next step.  Indeed, it is a little stupid to search a site ni my hometown when I study in London. Yet if I use the same system or principle of Forbidden City in SOHO Square, that intersection could be interesting.
So I spent nearly a week to find the main principle of Forbidden City, which originated from ancient Chinese philosophy.  But it is not enough to  define a new system in SOHO area. Then I traveled to the site again and again, and finally decided where I can invent my own project.
In the typical English style area, some intercultural experience could be applied while near the China Town, the same Chinese culture could integrate in another country. 
The next step, I plan to create several models with combined English and Chinese element to show the intersection of two different culture, architecture and atomsphere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment