Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The plan for term 3

From the crit in last term, I got several new ideas for my “Forbidden Soho”. But the most important and also difficult problem was how to present the cultural shock in this area. Although I have chosen my site and topic, the more pertinent background from Forbidden City and more accurate starting point from Soho should be found and connected to support my work. In the next couples of weeks, my focus will be their links.
In the end of last term, I planned to choose a certain area from Soho and build a mysterious museum which exhibits some precious treasures or unique scenarios from Forbidden City. After thinking and searching some information in the holiday, I found this one was still the most interesting and potential way, so I confirmed my decision and I will develop the project from this point.

From my opinion, this museum should contain two architectural aspects. One is the content inside the museum, which means the items on display. I have to decide which are the most typical things from Forbidden City and know the stories behind them. For example, I saw some western stuff such as glass cups and clocks displayed in some palaces of Forbidden City. These things were given as the gifts to the Chinese emperors in the past time. Another example is a western style pavilion in one palace. It is made from iron structure and concrete, which is distinctly different from others.
The second aspect is the border of this museum. There are several questions I have to solve one by one. First, how does the border set up? Why I choose this certain area to build the museum. Second, what is the function of the border? Maybe it could also be the exhibition space, or it can be the media of information exchange in terms of delivering something, or it is just the separation of inside and outside world, which could exaggerate the contrast atmosphere from two sides. If it can deliver something, how does it operate?

No comments:

Post a Comment