Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A story for my Forbidden Soho

This is a story about nostalgia.

When people live in a new environment and miss something, what they see and what they feel may be totally different. What they see is from the physical space while what they feel is from their memories or familiar things. So these two spaces could be separate, one is outside and the other is inside. Most of time, people could not distinguish which is outside and which is inside, just know they are in the opposite space without logical relationship, and nobody knows where is the border. Just like the narration from ‘invisible cities’, ‘From one part to the other, the city seems to continue, in perspective, multiplying its repertory of images: but instead it has no thickness, it consists only of a face and an obverse, like a sheet of paper, with a figure on either side, which can neither be separated nor look at each other.I just want to use this imagination to present my homesick feelings.

When I stand at the crossroad and look forward to Soho Square, it is sunny and clear. The flourishing green trees stand in the interspace of buildings and the people lie on the grass to enjoy their leisure moment. 
Then I come close to the entrance of the square, my view is expanded and the pavilion in the centre reminds me of some familiar feelings. A great palace from Forbidden City, which is the strongest memory about my hometown, seems to appear in the shadows of the trees. 
Suddenly I glimpse a vogue reflection of this palace on a building window, and the surrounding turn dark, except the street lamp, radiating the warm and yellow light just like from Forbidden City. Is it my illusion?

When I go through the enclosure and walk to the pavilion, everything become normal again. I stand in front of the small house and look inside the window glass; surprisingly it is not dark but golden. There is an emperor’s throne with Chinese imperial decoration, which makes the room extremely magnificent. 
I am so curious about everything inside and push the door. When I go in the room, it is become normal again. I look outside through the window, the statue of Charles II seems become to the statue of stone lion from Forbidden City. Moreover, the buildings around square also turn into the Chinese palaces.

The same thing happens to the red telephone box. Looking inside the box, a large golden vase is placed in the corner, but when I go in to see clearly, it disappears. Standing in the poky room, the outside space become Forbidden City again.

This story refers to the two spaces existing together. Inside the border, there is the physical space as people can touch it. While outside the border, there is an invisible space. These two could never intersect just like the reality and illusion. But they stick on but never are separated nor look at each other.
The border could be people’s eyes, any real constructions, walls and enclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment