Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Imagination from the word 'forbidden'

When I dealt with fractal architecture, I used to focus on the pattern. But after the seminar last week, I was inspired with more interesting things related to my main idea.
First, when I was absorbed by the delicate decoration of Forbidden City, I almost forgot the essence of this imperial complex. 'Forbidden' is the foremost principle in the design process such as the layout of palaces, the high walls, the close corridor and the restricted movement space.
As the Forbidden City possesses the feature of self-similarity(the layout of 9 grids), if I extract the same operating system and apply it to the SOHO site in London, in this new self-similar space, some former space may be released while others may be restricted by the new geography and surrounding buildings. This could interestingly lead to another mysterious spatial experience. The released space could preserve some pattern and symbols from Chinese imperial palace, and the forbidden space just like the inside of wall, the crossed glass, the Hermetic space, could create some other strange patterns from the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment